Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Family Gratitudes

This week of the year is always poignant for me as we remember how our son came into our family on this very day 18 years ago. I love to tell the story, so if you haven't heard it, and want to know ask me sometime.

At some point today, we will watch the video of the placement ceremony held in the hospital chapel. I heard that later that week at a church meeting, our pastor told the story of being a part of the service where there was grief and joy all stirred up together so that we were beaming and crying all at the same time. The moment Caleb's birthmother placed him in my arms is etched in my memory forever and has greatly influenced how I understand God's sacrificial love for us.

This week, I am grateful for our son Caleb, and for his birthparents who gave him life, and then made a loving sacrifice and gave him life with us. I'm grateful for all of our family and friends who supported us through the dark years of infertility and who celebrated with us when Caleb came into our lives. I am thankful to God for the blessings poured out on us through all these people. Thank you Lord.

Bonus: Here's a link to the song Rik played and sang at the placement ceremony. I've never been able to get him to do it again in public. He says it would be just too hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be monitored and approved by Blog owner. Please honor the value of each person's opinion whether you agree or not.